The first Health Systems Global (HSG) Media Fellowships Programme is offering six fellowships to journalists undertaking cutting edge news and reporting on health systems and health policy topics across the world. This is an opportunity for journalists to engage and build relationships within the community and report on some of the biggest issues and challenges facing the global community in a rapidly changing world. The deadline for applications is 30 September 2017.
The fellowships will include funded attendance and participation in the Fifth Global Symposium on Health Systems Research in October 2018 and close collaboration and support from health systems research and policy experts. The journalists will be working closely with leading thinkers and practitioners to promote the agenda of Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) and address critical health systems and health policy related topics in their country and region.
The Media Fellowship will begin in January 2018, with fellows beginning research or investigation for a feature piece to be published in a major outlet before September 2018. This published piece will be considered for the inaugural Health Systems Global Media Prize.
The Fellowship will include:
- Certificate and citation from Health Systems Global
- Profiling on Health Systems Global website and social media
- Full access and support to participate in the Global Symposium in Liverpool in September 2018, including satellite and skills sessions (flights, accommodation and subsistence for five days)
- Opportunity to interview leading thinkers/actors within health systems
- Full membership of Health Systems Global for 1 year
- Chance to win the inaugural Health Systems Global Media Prize for their feature piece.
Fellows will be expected to*:
- Place at least 1 piece ahead of HSR2018, for consideration for the prize, by the panel in October 2018 (it must be published and submitted to the panel by September 2018). The byline will need to express that this is their submission for the HSG Media Fellowship.
- Express their interest in who they would like interview during HSR2018
- Place at least 1 piece during the symposium (or within 2 weeks of the event)
- Place at least 1 piece within 2 months of the end of the symposium.
*All pieces must speak to the symposium themes
Additional support to successful applicants will include:
- Introductory welcome webinar for successful applicants
- Support in developing the pitch idea contributed at the application stage
- A toolkit to strengthen their work on reactive pieces, e.g. access to HSG spokespeople people (including people in their country and region); glossary of key terms.
Applicants will need to:
- Pitch one idea for a feature piece
- Have experience in public policy; health or human development and/or have a clear interest in health systems and policy by providing 3-5 published articles/podcasts/radio shows/blogs
- Be employed or regularly freelance for an accredited outlet, as verified by an editor.
We will accept applications from:
- Print journalists – Newspaper/magazine (to submit at least 3 pieces from recognised media outlet with applicant by-line on the article)
- Broadcast journalists and film-makers (to submit at least 3 audio or video files of broadcast programmes)
- Freelance journalists (to submit at least 3 pieces from recognised media outlet with applicant byline on the article or audio or video files of three broadcast programmes)
- eNews journalists (official news website); (to submit at least 3 pieces from recognised media outlet with applicant byline on the article).
The media fellows will be selected by a panel which will include a representative from the HSG Board; the HSG media lead; a leading journalist and a representative from a specialist media organisation. The panel will review all the applications and announce the successful applicants by December 2017.
This will be open to six professional journalists working for outlets based in different countries, in each of the six World Health Organization regions (one from each region will be selected):
- The Americas
- South-East Asia
- Eastern Mediterranean
- Western Pacific.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for the HSG Media Fellowship, please submit your application.
For any queries, please contact Vivienne Benson: firstname.lastname@example.org; +44 1273 915653
Deadline: 30 September 2017