Interested in volunteering?
Volunteer applications will be accepted until Monday, September 30. Only a limited number of volunteers can be accepted. Preference will be given to:
- Those available for the full length of the Symposium (14-18th of November)
- University students with an interest or specialty in global health
- Those with the ability to speak additional languages to English
- Canadian and local applicants as an important part of their role is answering questions from Symposium attendees about Canada (e.g. provide directions and advice about local transport and other services).
In recognition of 20 or more hours of volunteer service, you will receive:
- Free access to sessions for the remainder of the day after completing either a morning/afternoon/evening of volunteering (subject to space in the sessions)
- Delegate bag and volunteer T-shirt
- A Symposium certificate confirming hours volunteered
- Opportunities to network with researchers, policy-makers, health system and programme managers, and civil society participants from around the world.
A Few Notes
Volunteers will be assigned a role (see below), but will be asked to be flexible with that role, as we want all volunteers to help attendees feel comfortable, answer general questions and assist the planning committees and staff by acting as the eyes and ears of the Symposium – identifying potential problems before they occur.
Volunteers will be selected by early October. If you are planning on attending regardless, it is recommended to register for the Symposium before August 15th to take advantage of the early bird rate. In the event you are selected to volunteer, the registration fee will be refunded.
In general, the services of volunteers coming from outside Canada will only be accepted if they are registered to attend the Symposium. No special benefits are offered to volunteers coming from outside of Vancouver (e.g. you are responsible for accommodation, food and transportation costs).
Volunteer Roles and Duties
HSR 2016 volunteers will be required in any of the following tasks:
- Delegate Bags: Fill Delegate bags with printed materials
- Registration: Distribute name badges, delegate bags and provide information
- Meeting Rooms: Assist in presenters in the session rooms
- Marketplace and Posters: Provide assistance to exhibitors and poster presenters during set up and display
- Welcome Reception and Gala: Direct or greet guests and assist with logistics
- Directional/Special Services: Provide directional information and assist attendees with special needs
- Communications support: Assist with communications needs such as surveys, testimonials, videos.
To apply to be a volunteer, access the volunteer application site.
If you have any questions regarding volunteering at HSR 2016, email Brittany Minskip, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.