Interested in volunteering at HSR2018?
Volunteer applications will be accepted until Monday 1 August 2018. Only a limited number of volunteers can be accepted. Preference will be given to:
- Those available for the full length of the Symposium (8th – 12th October)
- Undergraduate & Postgraduate students with an interest or specialty in global health
- Those with the ability to speak additional languages to English
In recognition of 12 or more hours of volunteer service, you will receive:
- Free access to sessions for the remainder of the day after completing either a morning/afternoon/evening of volunteering (min 4hrs per day)
- Access to the Welcome Reception
- Delegate bag and volunteer T-shirt
- A Symposium certificate confirming hours volunteered
- Opportunities to network with researchers, policy-makers, health system and program managers, and civil society participants from more than 100 countries around the world.
Note: Access to the Social Evening is ticket only, unless you are asked to provide support that evening.
A few notes
Volunteers will be assigned a role (see below) but will be asked to be flexible with that role, as we want all volunteers to help attendees feel comfortable, answer general questions and assist the planning committees and staff by acting as the eyes and ears of the Symposium – identifying potential problems before they occur.
Volunteers will be selected by early September. If you are planning on attending regardless, it is recommended to register for the Symposium before 31st August to take advantage of the early bird rate. In the event you are selected to volunteer, and you deliver a minimum of 12 hours service, the registration fee will be refunded.
If you are selected to volunteer, your registration cost will be waived only if you deliver minimum of 12 hours of volunteer service. However, you will be responsible for your accommodation and any travel expenses. Should you be asked to provide support at the Social Evening, your ticket cost will be waived.
In general, the services of volunteers will only be accepted if they are registered to attend the Symposium.
Volunteer roles and duties
HSR2018 volunteers may be asked to assist with any of the following tasks:
- Registration: Distribute name badges, delegate bags and provide information
- Meeting Rooms: Assist in the session rooms where required such as mic running / room count
- Public Health Walks: Direct or greet guests and assist with walks
- Community Corner: Assist during the lunchtime Community Corner sessions where required
- Photovoice: Assist where required and provide information about the exhibition to delegates
- Marketplace and Posters: Provide assistance to poster presenters during set up and display
- Welcome Reception and Social Evening: Direct or greet guests and assist with logistics
- Directional/Special Services: Provide directional information and assist attendees with special needs
- Survey services: HSG may want to undertake onsite survey of symposium participants and volunteers maybe asked to administer such surveys
- Communications support: Assist with onsite communications needs such as surveys, testimonials, videos
How to apply
To apply to be a volunteer at HSR2018, please access the volunteer application site and apply by Monday 1 August 2018.
If you have any questions regarding volunteering at HSR2018, please email InfoHSR2018@bcdme.com.